Recipe for Wednesday, July 13th, 2011:
Lite Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe via Hungry Girl
Prep time: unknown
Bake time: 15-20 minutes
Serves: 12 cupcakes
Ingredients [Red Velvet Cupcakes]:
- 1 cup Pillsbury Moist Supreme Reduced Sugar Cake Mix, Devil’s Food**
- 1 cup Pillsbury Moist Supreme Reduced Sugar Cake Mix, Classic Yellow**
- Two 25-calorie diet hot cocoa mix packets
- 1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 oz. red food coloring
- 1 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Ingredients [Cream Cheese Frosting]:
- 6 tbsp. Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme
- 6 tbsp. Cool Whip Free, thawed
- 1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
(A conversion table can be found here.)
Place half of your chocolate chips (2 tbsp.) and the contents of both cocoa packets in a tall glass. Add 12 ounces of boiling water, and stir until chips and cocoa mix have dissolved. Place glass in the freezer until mixture is cold (about 30 minutes).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups, and spray lightly with nonstick spray (or simply spray the pan with nonstick spray).
Once the cocoa in the freezer has chilled, give it a stir, and pour it into a large mixing bowl. Add the cake mixes, egg substitute, remaining chocolate chips, red food coloring, 1 tsp. Splenda, and salt. Using a whisk or fork, mix batter for about 2 minutes (until smooth and blended).
Evenly spoon batter into the pan. Place pan in the oven, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Cupcakes will look shiny when done.
Make frosting: In a bowl, mix together marshmallow creme, cream cheese, and 1 tbsp. Splenda until smooth. Fold in Cool Whip. Place bowl in the fridge to chill until cupcakes are ready to be frosted.
Once cupcakes have cooled completely, evenly spread the frosting over them.